As the saying goes “if you look good, then you feel good.” I think everyone wants to look fashionable but may not necessarily have the means to do so. Speaking personally, I’ve always found fashion to be a part of who I am ever since I can remember. Since I come from a very modest background, I learned early on that I could be creative by using the pieces at hand, modifying them and putting together new outfits. It’s not always about wearing the trendiest and most expensive clothes; sometimes, it’s just tiny tweaks and putting together things you never thought would go together to create a fresh, next-level look – one that most importantly helps underline your individuality and makes you feel good.
So here are 10 ways to make your outfit instantly cooler:
#1: Mixed Prints
If you love prints as much as I do, then you know just how mixing prints is a “must” when it comes to creating the boldest, eye-catching outfits. Mastering the art of pairing patterns can sometimes be tricky and super intimidating. It may seem there are no rules, but you have to make sure that the prints harmonize well together. When this is done right, you will be sure to turn heads.
- Don’t go for plain, small prints that lack color. Step outside your comfort zone and give the more fun, colorful and bold prints a try.
- Play with scale. Use your creativity and judgment to put together different prints that are opposite but somehow work together. Just make sure they have one color in common to tie the look together.
- Treat stripes and leopard print as a neutral.
#2: Neck Scarf
When I think of neck scarves, I think “powerhouse accessory”. Silk scarves are definitely having a moment. When tied loosely in a knot or wrapped several times to create a “choker effect”, a silk scarf adds an instant air of chic to any outfit. What I love about this trend is that it’s very easy to do and makes a huge difference in your outfit – one that shouts confidence and style.
- Shop for the most unique patterns, colors and designs.
- The key is understanding which ones to buy and how to tie them properly.
- You could look for a neck scarf that is a small square (like a bandana). However, the ones shaped like rectangles tend to be the easiest to work with.
#3: Pants Under Dress
Time to swap out your statement tops for full-blown dresses. We all have that go-to dress we wore one too many times but just can’t get rid of. Try mixing it up by adding pants underneath – this will undeniably put a cool new spin on your dress. You might think this is a ridiculous concept, but I call it clever layering.
- Choose an oversized dress shape or go a size higher than you usually would, but you want to avoid looking bulky or lumpy. It’s all about balance.
- I also recommend sticking to a skinny or straight-leg style jean rather than a flare. It creates a more streamlined look.
#4: Belt It
It’s all about getting creative with your accessories. Belts are definitely a great way to change up an outfit and make it look fresh while adding an extra dimension to something that may have been considered dull or outdated. There are so many different ways to wear belts with an outfit. You can wear it with a flirty dress, an oversized shirt or even over a masculine blazer to help create the illusion of an hourglass shape. I’ve been amazed by how many outfits I’ve been able to revamp just by adding a belt.
- Make sure your belt compliments your style. The right belt will flatter your waist and add an extra twist to your outfit.
- Choose the right width for your body type. When it comes to your waist, the golden rule is to keep it cinched.
- My go-to stores when it comes to shopping for belts are thrift shops and vintage stores. You can find amazing, one-of-a-kind signature and statement-making belts for half the price.
#5: Put a Hat on It
Hats have been and always will be my favorite staple accessory. Aside from hiding a bad hair day or shielding yourself from the Sun, hats can totally change the game and completely transform your outfit from “basic” to instantly cooler. It’s all about having the confidence and attitude to pull off a hat.
- Find the right hat that fits your head properly. This can come down to actual sizes in some cases but also often proportions depending on your height, face shape and hair color. You want to make sure that the hat is right for you and suits your style.
- If you’re only purchasing one hat, make sure you find a color that goes with pieces in your wardrobe.
#6: Shades On
Nothing says casual-cool like an awesome pair of sunglasses. Whether worn on your face, on top of your head or hanging off the neckline of a blouse, a good pair of sunnies are an essential style enhancer and can always be utilized as a statement-making addition to any outfit.
- Are you a person who wears gold or silver jewelry? Your glasses should complement these accessories, so look for glasses that have gold or silver on the frames. This will keep your look consistent.
- Find that perfect fit for your face shape. Whether you’re into classic styles, modern shapes or funky prints, the sky is the limit in terms of choices.
- Look for glasses that complement the colors you most often wear.
If you feel like your outfit looks a little boring, knots are the solution! Give a new and stylish lease on life to tops that have been sitting in your wardrobe. You can tie a knot on any shirt you’ve got (or even borrow one from your husband, brother or boyfriend) and kink the voluminous fabric to help accentuate your waistline. If you’ve got it, flaunt it!
- One idea is to not show your belly button but instead show some skin above your belly button. This would expose a sliver of a midriff that might be appropriate for more settings.
- If you’re going to knot a t-shirt, blouse or tank top, make sure to always pair it with high-waisted jeans, skirts or shorts. Showing a bit of your midriff and balancing your silhouette is what we’re going for.
- You can tie a knot on a side, in the front or in the back. It can be as loose or tight as you like. The choice is yours!
#8: Unusual Color Combination
Trying a new color combination can innovate a seemingly dull wardrobe and completely transform a look. It’s time to try an unusual color combination. Wear rust with teal or lavender with yellow. Go all out and choose weird, contrasting combinations and step up your creative game.
- Don’t overthink what matches and works, just go for it! Make color clashing an art form.
- As always, confidence is key! You’ve got to like what you’re wearing before asking anyone else’s opinion.
#9: Draped Shoulders
Spring is among us and we all know that means shedding layers. Say goodbye to heavy coats and hello to “Blazers”! There are so many unconventional ways to wear a blazer – for example, draped over your shoulders or hanging off to one side. But don’t think of your Blazer as a blazer. Think of it as a cape with sleeves – ones you are never to put your arms into. It’s the perfect way to add a dose of originality and flamboyance to your look.
- Size up! You want a slightly oversized blazer to create a shape that seems to add volume and gives a more avant-garde look. Let’s not forget about the length: we want the blazer to hit just below your hip or even a longer, mid-length blazer that will simply flow over anything you don’t want to draw attention to.
- Carry a clutch rather than a bag with a strap. Your shoulders are taken.
- Don’t forget to check out the men’s section. You’re looking for a blazer that has wider shoulders and no tapering at the waist. Remember that we’re looking for a slightly oversized fit, not a massive one.
#10: Cool Shoes
One thing is for certain: you can never have enough shoes. With that being said, shoes that make a statement are the perfect way to upgrade your outfit. From cheeky and playful to sporty or modern, shoes can take your outfit from “good” to “knockout”.
- Never talk yourself out of “investing” in yet another pair of shoes, especially if it’s one that you love. They are definitely worth spending your money on. Trust me – they will last!
- Always go for the most eye-catching, bright shoes that make the loudest statement. You live just once, so this is your time to shine!
And there you have it: my top 10 ways that are sure to upgrade your outfits and elevate your wardrobe without breaking the bank. Next time you’re out “thrifting” or shopping, just remember to focus on finding that one special piece – the one that YOU like the best. Doing this will help set you apart and make your outfit all the more special.
Here are a few hand-picked articles for you to read next: