Before jumping into some fantastic (and super easy) plant-based diet recipes, let’s talk about an increasingly popular topic being discussed in health & wellness circles: plant-based eating. Described simply, a plant-based diet makes plants the staple of your diet. It emphasizes whole, healthy plant foods and minimizes animal-based foods and food products.
As an additional plus, plant-based eating boasts a number of both health and ecological benefits. Research has found that it can improve heart and brain health, lower your cholesterol and blood pressure, reduce your risk of chronic diseases and cancers and even improve your energy, mood and skin. Following a plant-based diet will also benefit both animals and the environment.
Unfortunately, many people incorrectly believe that a plant-based diet won’t meet their protein needs. While meat and other animal products are rich sources of protein, there are many plant foods such as lentils, beans and tempeh that are also excellent sources of protein. In fact, you can easily meet your protein requirements on a plant-based diet alone. For more information, you can find a comprehensive list of high-protein plant foods along with four healthy, high protein vegetarian recipes here.
While plant-based eating might sound restrictive or difficult at first, it’s actually very attainable. And if you want to start following a plant-based diet now, here are eight really easy recipes to get you started!
These recipes are all quick, easy, nutritious and (of course) plant-based. Remember: you don’t need to go all out and eliminate ALL animal products immediately from your diet; even just switching to a few easy plant-based meals a week can make a huge difference to your health and the planet!
8 Really Easy Plant-Based Diet Recipes
1. Easy Avocado and Chickpea Salad
This Avocado and Chickpea Salad is super easy and requires no cooking at all! Whip it up in five minutes for a nutritious plant-based lunch or dinner.
Makes 2 servings
- 1 tin/can of chickpeas, drained
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 cups of baby spinach leaves, shredded
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 small chili, crushed
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Divide into two and enjoy!
2. Easy Breakfast Smoothie
This Easy Breakfast Smoothie contains the added benefits of seeds, nut butter, oats and plant milk, which together will give you a good hit of protein along with the energy for a busy day ahead.
Makes 1 smoothie
- 2 cups plant milk (e.g. soy, nut milk)
- 1 banana, pre-frozen
- ¼ cup plain oats
- 2 tbsp hemp or chia seeds
- 1 tsp nut butter
- 1 tsp honey
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
*Note: you can adjust the amount of plant milk in this recipe to make it runnier or thicker depending on your preferred consistency.
3. Easy Peasy Burrito Bowl
This Easy Peasy Burrito Bowl is so easy even the kids can help make it! You can whip it up in a few minutes, and it’s absolutely packed with plant protein and fiber for a healthy gut.
Makes 2 servings
- 1 cup of cooked brown rice
- 1 tin/can of 4 bean mix, drained
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 tin/can of corn kernels
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup of lettuce leaves, shredded
- 2 handfuls of tortilla chips to serve
- 1 lime, halved
- Place a handful of tortilla chips in each bowl.
- Next, evenly divide remaining veggies and beans between each bowl.
- Finally, top with lime and coriander. Enjoy!
4. Easy Banana Nicecream
A healthy plant-based alternative to ice cream, nicecream is a must-have during the summer months. Made with bananas and a dash of milk, its thick and creamy consistency will have you coming back for more every time!
Makes 2 servings
- 3 very ripe bananas, peeled and frozen
- Dash of plant milk (e.g. soy, nut milk)
- Place frozen banana & milk into a high-speed blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Scoop out and enjoy!
Note: You can add any flavor additions you like to this recipe. Here are some suggestions to try:
- Vanilla extract
- Mint leaves
- Nut butter
- Fruit – berries, mango, passionfruit or any other fruit you like
5. Two-Minute Avocado Toast
When it only takes two minutes to make this scrumptious plant-based snack, it will soon become a regular (and a hit) in your household! Try this tasty and nutritious recipe for a healthy breakfast or snack.
Makes 1 serving
- ½ avocado, mashed
- 1 slice of wholegrain bread, toasted
- ½ tomato, sliced
- ½ small lemon, juiced
- Sprinkle of chili flakes
- Spread avocado onto toast.
- Then top with tomato, lemon juice and chili flakes. Enjoy!
6. Crunchy Sweet Potato Fries
A healthy alternative to regular deep-fried takeaway (or “fast-food”) fries, these crunchy sweet potato fries make the perfect side to serve with dinner.
Makes 4 servings
- 3 large sweet potatoes, washed and sliced into desired size
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp of spices of choice – e.g. chili flakes, dukkah, etc.
- Pre-heat over to 180° C (or 350° F).
- In a large mixing bowl, place sweet potato. Coat with olive oil and spices.
- Place sweet potato slices onto a baking tray and bake in oven for 25 minutes or until crispy. Enjoy!
7. 10-minute Tofu Stir-fry
Tofu is an excellent protein option for those wanting to start on a plant-based diet. It’s easy to cook and especially quick if you buy a flavored variety.
Makes 2 servings
- 1 pack flavored tofu (firm)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 bunch of bok choy
- ½ capsicum, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- Handful of green beans, chopped
- Heat oil on frying pan.
- Add veggies and tofu and fry for eight minutes.
- Then serve and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- **Can be enjoyed with rice, quinoa or other grain of choice.**
8. Loaded Chickpea Sandwich
Chickpeas are an excellent source of plant protein and also extremely cheap! If you like this as a lunch option, you can also try these four easy vegetarian lunch ideas for work (includes recipes).
Makes 1 serving
- 2 slices of wholegrain bread
- ½ cup tinned/canned chickpeas, drained
- 4 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ½ carrot, peeled & grated
- Handful of baby spinach, shredded
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- ¼ avocado, mashed
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- In a small bowl, mash chickpeas with lemon juice and parsley.
- Spread avocado onto one slice of bread.
- Then top with chickpea mixture. Layer with remaining veggies and top with the other slice of bread.
- Slice and enjoy!
Once you’ve mastered some of these 8 really easy plant-based diet recipes, you should download The Beginner’s Guide to Losing Weight with a Plant-Based Diet. It contains a sample one-day plant-based eating plan, along with four more advanced plant-based recipes, which I also recommend trying! After that, you should also consider these healthy and tasty vegetable soup recipes, which are packed full of plant protein and fiber to keep you feeling full and satisfied throughout the day.
Whether you choose start following a completely plant-based diet by switching all of your meals to plant-based or you choose to try just a few plant-based meals each week, you are going to improve your health, save money and benefit the planet – all important reasons to feel great! And if you try any of these recipes and enjoy them, I would love to know, so please comment below!
Here are a few hand-picked articles for you to read next: