This article is part of the “Holiday Recipes Series.” Click here to learn more.
St Patty’s Day is just around the corner, so what better way to celebrate Irish culture than with some St Patrick’s day desserts? Whether you’re with your family, friends, or colleagues, you can easily make one of these to brighten everyone’s day. It’s time to do a little jig because everybody’s taste buds will love these delicious (yet oh-so-healthy) green desserts – they might even be better than a pot of gold!
Lucky Green Ice-cream (GF)
Most Convenient St Patrick’s Day Dessert– Least Prep Time and Fewest Ingredients
This Lucky Green Ice-cream takes a twist on your traditional ice-cream; it’s made with frozen bananas instead of cream to achieve an amazing creamy texture. The addition of baby spinach and mint makes it extra healthy and also splashes it with some St. Patrick’s Day green.
Recipe: Lucky Green Ice-cream
Makes 8 mini servings
Prep Time: 4 minutes
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled and frozen
- A handful of baby spinach leaves
- Fresh mint leaves
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips (technically GF, but check product’s packaging for the label of Gluten-Free processing)
- Place frozen bananas into a blender and blend until forms ice-cream consistency forms.
- Add in spinach leaves and mint. Blend until smooth.
- Scoop out into mini bowls. Then sprinkle with chocolate chips.
Lucky Green Ice-cream is very quick and easy to make! It’s best enjoyed straight after serving, so be sure to whip it up just before your St. Patrick Day celebrations kick-off.
Luck O’ The Irish Minty Bliss Balls (contains nuts) Ⓥ (GF)
Most Practical St Patrick’s Day Dessert – Longest Shelf Life and a Short Prep Time
You’re in luck with these Luck O’ The Irish Minty Bliss Balls – they are so scrumptious that your friends won’t even realize that they are healthy! You can also make them in advance and keep them in the fridge or freezer before your St. Patrick’s Day celebrations.
Recipe: Luck O’ The Irish Minty Bliss Balls
Makes 12 small balls
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup walnuts or other nuts of choice (technically GF, but check product’s packaging for the label of Gluten-Free processing)
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Medjool dates, de-seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup desiccated or shredded coconut
- Dash of peppermint extract
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until combined. Depending on the strength of your blender, you may need to stop the blender and move mixture around a few times.
- Once blended, scoop mixture out of blender. Roll into balls with hands. Enjoy!
These Luck O’ The Irish Minty Bliss Balls can be made in advance and kept in the fridge for up to a week or frozen for up to three months.
Pot of Gold Cupcakes (contains eggs, milk, and wheat)
Most Elaborate St Patrick’s Day Dessert – Most Customizable and Crowd-Pleasing
Introducing cupcakes better than finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow – these are my rare and treasured Pot of Gold Cupcakes! They are healthy and nutritious delectables that can be topped with chocolate gold coins for some extra fun.
Recipe: Pot of Gold Cupcakes
Makes 12 small or 6 large cupcakes
Prep Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup whole grain flour
- 1 cup ground rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate gold coins
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Lightly grease a muffin pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas. Stir in beaten eggs. Add honey, vanilla, and olive oil and emulsify.
- Add the wet mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin pan and bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- With a knife, cut a thin slice into the top of each muffin. Place a chocolate coin into the slice so it stands half-way out of the top of the muffin. Repeat for all muffins.
As mentioned, Pot of Gold Cupcakes are highly customizable. If you want to add some more elaborate decorations to them, you could also add some four-leaf clover or little leprechaun decorations with icing. The possibilities are endless!
Mini Irish-Cream Smoothies (contains milk) (GF)
Most Relaxing St Patrick’s Day Dessert – Easiest to Make and Incredibly Soothing to Drink
Served in little shot glasses, these Mini Irish-Cream Smoothies are the perfect drink dessert option for those choosing to have an alcohol-free St. Patrick’s Day. With gorgeous green color and refreshing taste, they will have you doing a jig or two.
Recipe: Mini Irish-Cream Smoothies
Makes 12 shot glasses
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 2 cups milk of choice
- 1 handful of baby spinach
- 4 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 bunch of fresh mint leaves + extra to serve
- Place all ingredients into a blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into shot glasses. Top each with a mint leaf and enjoy!
If you want to serve your Mini Irish-Cream Smoothies in bigger glasses, simply double the ingredients. You can have double the fun without any extra trouble!
Emerald Rain Popsicles (contains milk) (GF)
Most Kid-Friendly St Patrick’s Day Dessert – Extra “Cool” Factor (in more than one sense)
These Emerald Rain Popsicles are a refreshing St. Patrick’s Day recipe that can either be poured into mini shot glasses as a drink or frozen into beautiful green popsicles for a tasty St. Patrick’s Day-themed treat.
Recipe: Emerald Rain Popsicles
Makes 6 popsicles
Prep time: 5 minutes + overnight freezing
- 2 kiwi fruits
- 1 banana
- 2 cups milk of choice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp chia or flax seeds
- Peel a banana and wash kiwi fruit.
- Slice banana and kiwis and place into a blender with remaining ingredients. Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour into popsicle tray, freeze and enjoy!
The Emerald Rain Popsicles are the perfect option, especially for kids! But rest assured that your “coolness” factor will go through the roof with everyone attending your St. Patrick’s Day celebrations.
Little Leprechaun Cookies (contains milk, wheat, and caffeine)
Most Fancy/Exotic St Patrick’s Day Dessert – A Splash of Green (Matcha) That Comes Far Away from the Emerald Isle
You’re in luck with these little leprechaun cookies. They are healthy but also secretly good for you! Short of a full-blown tea ceremony, there are a few more interesting ways to spruce up your St. Patrick’s Day party.
Recipe: Little Leprechaun Cookies
Makes 20 mini cookies
Prep Time: 45 minutes
- 5 cups oat flour
- 1 tbsp matcha powder (contains caffeine)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper. If using a cookie sheet, line this with parchment paper.
- Mix the oat flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Stir in matcha powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, milk, vanilla extract, and honey until emulsified.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients into one bowl. Knead or fold together until a dough forms.
- Using a spoon, scoop the dough out into 20 little balls onto the prepared tray. Then press each cookie ball down slightly with the spoon. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until baked through.
- Once cooked, remove from the tray onto a cooling rack and allow to cool. Enjoy!
With the extra dash of green matcha, these Little Leprechaun Cookies will blow the socks of your friends this St. Patrick’s Day! And you can be sure the added cosmopolitan touch will certainly add flavor for discussion.
Whether you are celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with your friends, family, loved ones or even as the hippest mom at your child’s classroom party, these desserts will be a hit! Not only will they taste incredible and look amazing with their green St. Patty’s day theme, but they are also healthy and nourishing at the same time. Whichever dessert you choose to make for St. Patrick’s Day, I hope it’s a fun day filled with lots of Irish cheer, nutritiously satisfied leprechauns, and smiles as big as the rainbow!
Read more from our “Holiday Recipes Series”:
- 6 Healthy & Romantic Valentine’s Day Dinner Ideas and Recipes
- 7 Healthy, Vegetarian Recipes for a Delicious Easter Brunch
- The Ultimate Delicious (and Vegan) Thanksgiving Menu
- 5 Easy, Healthy, and Festive Christmas Dinner Ideas